01 January 2013

2012

A short review of last year on the road shows me that I spent almost 300 hours on the road training and racing and covered 2,750km doing it.

Winners are Grinners
Highlight was of course the training and racing of the Sydney Coastrek 2012 from Palm Beach to Coogee Beach. Together with Jo, Sam and Denis we won the 100 km trail walk in 14hrs28min and in the process we also raised over $15,000 for The Fred Hollows Foundation.


Training for Coastrek




I also like to mention that Ben organised a team of 4 visually impaired walkers and they together with 4 guides covered the 50 km from Palm Beach to Balmoral Beach in 18 hours. Like we, Ben not only raised much needed funds for The Fred Hollows Foundation but was liking the run so much that he will be attempting to cover the entire 100km in March this year. Denis, Sam and myself plus a still missing 2nd female team member will be racing the 50km night run from Balmoral to Coogee.  Again our goal is to give it the best on the trail and of course match our fundraising efforts from last year.


Bondi Beach Aug 2012
On the way to the finish
The rest of 2012 was spent with training and guiding Ben on the Sydney 1/2 marathon in May and the City to Surf in August. I also went with Denis to Wagga Wagga and raced a full marathon....was quite a different feeling again running alone (without guiding Ben and talking the whole time) and interesting to have to deal with my own pain and issues during the 42km. Whilst guiding Ben it is actually quite easy for me to forget my pain on the run as I have to talk to Ben all the time. Ben also ran for 12 hours and covered 75km in the Centennial Park Ultra in September together with guide Elis. I did enjoy a couple of weeks in Tonga on the beach whilst they were running in circles for a day.

Thank you all for supporting us raising money for a great cause in 2012.  I look forward to be in touch again this year with many exciting stories of running, guiding and fundraising in 2013

Happy Feet, Happy New Year and save training


No comments: